Do Your Bit to Save the Environment
Our planet is all about biodiversity, natural resources, water, food and air, which we all require for our existence. All this needs to be balanced in order to have feasibility of survival on the Earth. However, the continuous depletion of natural resources, rising human population, air pollution, marine pollution, global warming and such other problems have affected the balance of nature in the worst-possible manner. And given to such a situation, we could hardly visualize human existence in the coming years.
What is World Environment Day?
With the intention of protecting and improving the human environment for the well-being of people and economic development, the UN established the World Environment Day (WED) during the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment in 1972. The day, which is observed on June 5 every year, is intended for encouraging worldwide awareness and action for the protection of our environment. Since its beginning in 1974, the WED has developed into a global platform with participation from over 143 countries.
How You Can Celebrate World Environment Day?
World Environment Day is the “people’s day” for doing their bit for the Earth. Indeed, many big companies, NGOs, communities, governments and celebrities throughout the world are supporting events, road shows and taking other actions to advocate environmental concerns. In the words of Dalai Lama, “It is our collective and individual responsibility to preserve and tend to the world in which we all live.”
Certainly, each and every person is important, and everyone is accountable for the harm caused to the planet. Notwithstanding what others are doing, you can also be a part of the movement by taking your own course of action for cleaning up the environment. Being a citizen of the Earth, it is our responsibility to help in maintaining the ecological balance. Given below are few points that you can follow this World Environment Day.
- Create awareness – You can initiate by creating awareness about the environment among the people around, be that your children, neighbors or colleagues. You can either work according to the annual theme, or do anything that protects the surroundings, like, planting saplings, cleanliness drive, discarding use of plastic, etc.
- Make a small garden – Though it’s difficult to find space in urban cities, try to create some green area around. For this, you can use your terrace, balcony, patio or any other convenient space too. Learn about different seeds, plants and manure, and start growing various flowers, fruits and vegetables in your own space.
- Use public transport – This WED, use public transportation and pledge to use it more often. You can also involve other people in this initiative. Start by using public transport once a week, and gradually increase the number. Moreover, you can also start cycling; its eco-friendly and a great way to exercise too.
- Prefer things/packaging that can be reused or recycled – This comes as an effective solution for environmental sustainability. Without even realizing how much we contribute to the waste every year, we continue to buy things that are easy to use. But from now on, you must stop and check for what you’re buying – whether that can be reused or recycled. If it can be reused or recycled, you are good to go!
- Let people know – All of us are using socials. Use that power to make people aware about your efforts of conserving the environment. Did something good for the environment? Flaunt it! You can also invite your friends and relatives to participate in the noble cause. More people in the cause mean more power to its success!
Being a responsible global citizen, follow these steps as your guiding force in protecting the environment. Involve more and more people to make this movement bigger and better. Let these efforts not limited to just one day, but make them part of your everyday life to bring about a positive change in the environment for the present as well as future generations.