Take a Small Step to Conserve Environment this Earth Day
In the present day, Earth Day has gained immense popularity for its noble grounds. Probably most of us have heard about the Earth Day yet we hardly know about the significance of this particular day. Celebrated annually on April 22, Earth Day has become one of the most widely observed environmental events throughout the world. The title “Earth Day” is inspired from the rhyming word “birthday”. Perhaps, it’s the celebration of the birth of our planet. The Earth Day was first observed in the year 1970, after seeing the devastation caused by the massive oil-spill (1969) in Santa Barbara, California, to spread awareness on environmental protection.
Once, what started with the United States, now, has become a worldwide movement. As of now, the Earth Day events are coordinated in more than 193 countries worldwide. Throughout the world, it is marked as a day of civic participation wherein various events are held to demonstrate support for ecological conservation. To observe its celebration, people march, sign petitions, plant trees, clean up their roads and localities, and do other such activities for the sustainable world. The 40th Earth Day, i.e. in 2010, more than 1 billion people participated in the global cause.
What you can do to help in environment conservation?
To prevent this planet from further degradation, there is an urgent need to focus on grave environmental issues, like, water pollution, usage of plastic and other non-biodegradable products, air pollution, oil spills, depleting natural resources, global warming and more. And we need to understand that it is the responsibility of each and every individual to do their share of job by following an environmental friendly lifestyle. By adapting to such a lifestyle, everyday, we can contribute to the celebration of the Earth Day. Given are some steps following which we can help in preserving our environment to an extent.
- Make sure that you dispose of the waste in proper place. Generally, disposing of waste in wrong place leads to air, land as well as water pollution.
- Switch to eco-friendly products rather than non-biodegradable products. You can start using jute bags or cloth bags instead of plastic bags. Likewise, use metal or earthen crockery over plastic ones.
- Start depositing your waste items at a recycling plant so that it gets used in producing recycled items rather than dumping it in dump yards. Recycling is a great initiative for the sustainability of the earth.
- Rely on renewable and eco-friendly alternatives in your day to day life. Like, you can get solar panels installed and use solar energy for electric power supply than non-renewable power supply.
- Prefer walking or cycling over driving automobiles for short distances. It will help in reducing fuel consumption and emission of harmful gases as well. Else, you can use public transport to help in conserving environment. Use personal automobiles when it is absolutely necessary.
- Save water. As we all know, drinking water is depleting at a fast rate. We should do our bit to conserve water as much as possible. For example, turn off the tap while brushing or shaving, to avoid unnecessary wastage.
- Save energy. Use only that much power which you actually require. Turn off the lights and other electrical equipments, if they’re not in use. You can dry clothes under direct sunlight rather than using an electrical dryer.
With these simple steps, you can contribute towards the preservation of our environment on a daily basis. Earth Day is nothing but a movement of self-consciousness to think and work for the betterment of the society, nation and the world. This Earth Day, let’s vow to conserve water and energy, to recycle the waste, to use less of plastic and more of biodegradable products, for the conservation of our planet Earth!